Who to Contact to Replace Vital Documents

by Ted Ricasa on Mar 26, 2013

Telephone on deskIf you have lost vital documents in a disaster that damaged your home, it is important that you have them replaced as soon as possible.  The sooner you replace lost documents, the sooner you can move on from the disaster and rebuild your life.

Unfortunately, replacing these documents will take time and effort on your part, during a period when you already have an overwhelming number of pieces to put back into place.  Obtaining new copies of vital documents will be much easier if you know who you should contact and how you should contact them.

Before you request any documents that must be mailed to you, be sure to notify your local post office of where your mail should now be delivered.

The following is a list of vital documents commonly lost in disasters such as fire, floods, and landslides, accompanied by the relevant contact information:

  • Driver’s license or vehicle registration – Visit or contact the local office of your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (see this page for a list of DMV websites by state)
  • Passport – Report your lost passport by calling the Bureau of Consular Affairs at 1-877-487-2778 (8 a.m.-10 p.m. EST, M-F)
  • Birth, marriage, and death certificates – Please visit this resource provided by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for instructions on how to obtain these documents in your state
  • Damaged U.S. currency – Contact the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing by calling 1-866-575-2361
  • Bank records – Contact a representative of your bank or call the FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation) at 1-877-275-3342
  • Military records – Visit the National Archives Veterans Service Records web page or contact the National Archives customer service staff at (314) 801-0800 if you need your military service records urgently
  • School records – Contact your former school or, if your former school no longer exists, the school district of your former school
  • Savings bonds – Visit this resource provided by the U.S. Department of the Treasury
  • Social Security card – Visit this resource provided by the U.S. Social Security Administration
  • Tax records – Contact the IRS Disaster Assistance Hotline at 1-866-562-5227
  • Green Card – Visit this resource provided by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

For information about your options as a homeowner after a disaster, please contact Fast Home Help today.

comments powered by Disqus

Read More About

Fire Flood Landslide Disaster

View Past Posts

Our Locations


Our Locations

Contact Us Today to Get Expert Advice

To: Fast Home Help

*We hate spam too! We always respect your privacy.